Sunday, February 24, 2013

Stronger Than All



I was 13 years old. My younger brother heard Pantera on a daily basis. A friend of him, introduced him to the band. It was the summer of 1994. The band sounded violent and faster than any other band I heard before. I used to saw I'm broken on TV, almost every other day. Even though I liked them, never thought someday I would attend to a Pantera show. 


It was a rainy evening, on July 1997 at El Palacio De Los Deportes, when Pantera came to Mexico City, for a second time. A few months before, they had been the opening act for Kiss in the same venue. 

Obviously, my brother was a big fan of the band -I wasn't, at all-, but he was not interested in school and he had bad notes, so our parents didn't allow him to go to the show. 

I was there, with a friend of mine. He said he liked Pantera, but he also liked SepulturaUgly Kid Joe, Metallica, Skid RowKiss, Nirvana, Pearl JamGuns N' Roses, basketball and beer. My friend was sort of a poser, but it was funny to hang out with him. He really looked like a heavy metal fan. He had long hair in a punk style, he always dressed shorts and the infamous I Hate Myself And I Want To Die t-shirt which everybody wore short after Cobain's death. 


That evening, Anthrax and Makina played, too. It was a really violent and intense show. At some point, it started to rain and the water began to seep through the roof. It was funny and refreshing. 


Also, when Pantera came out to the stage, people drove wild and began to smash chairs and stuff like that. I don't know who thought it was a great idea to put chairs for the audience in a show like that. It was silly. People started to steal merchandise, too. T-shirts, beers, food... anything you can imagine. 

I kinda felt out of place, but the disaster was so contagious. 

Never thought Dimebag Darrell would die in such an awful way, some years later. 


No comments: