Friday, August 18, 2017

Let Me Dirty Up Your Mind


In 1996, I was 16 years old. Most of the time, I watched MTV

All I did was to listen music, but hadn't enough money to buy many records -I was so lazy and never considered to get a job- and also I was so frustrated 'cause I would never have the opportunity to hear Nirvana in a live show. 


Supposedly, they had played in Tijuana back in 1989, or so, long before Nevermind overthrew Dangerous' King of Pop. It was the closer they ever played to Mexico City, and I'm pretty sure that I still cared about Thundercats then.




At some point, in almost all MTV shows, people started to talk about a band in which Butch Vig was the drummer. I was so curious to listen to this band they talked about. Would they sound like Nirvana or Nevermind? Would I like their music?

It was a sunny afternoon in the middle of  autumn, when I finally heard Garbage


As usual, after another day in school, I sat on the living room and turned on the TV. 

The guy on MTV said he was about to show for the first time Queer, another single of the debut album of Garbage. 

He also said that Garbage's Stupid Girl and Only Happy When It Rains videos' were on a regular rotation on MTV and that people just loved them. 


via GIPHY

I felt hypnotized. It was a cryptic video, but I loved it. The music didn't sound like Nevermind at all, but I liked it, too -even though I wasn't, and I'm not, really a guy of loops and sfx

Nevertheless, I felt more attracted to the singer. She was beautiful, irreverent and provocative. Also, her voice was so sweet and soft. She sounded like a real singer, nothing to do with Courtney Love, which was almost the only female I used to listen up to.
 




Monday night was my first Garbage experience -they played with Blondie and it was the last show of the Rage And Rapture Tour- and I just bought a couple of tickets a week ago. 

For a long time, I hadn't listened to the band. So I bought Strange Little Birds -and I loved Empty, Blackout and Even If Our Love Is Doomed- and in a few days I listened all the Garbage records' I own. 


Listening to their debut album, made me feel nostalgic. Didn't remember that once I met girl that used to be a Shirley copycat.  




While Shirley Manson sang and Butch Vig played the drums and both Duke Erikson and Steve Marker played guitars and Eric Avery -from Jane's Addiction!- played bass guitar, I wondered why in the hell I hadn't been in a Garbage live show. I know they've played in Mexico City constantly. Shirley said so. 

Even though they didn't played Queer, I loved the show. 

I'm becoming a big fan of their music, even though I still like garage punk bands. 
I'm sure at some point I'm going to read their book. 
   


No comments: