Thursday, May 18, 2017

Hang My Head, Drown My Fear Till You All Just Disappear


Almost four years ago I went to a Soundgarden show. It was the first time the band came to Mexico City. They just had released King Animal and they were touring the album. Even though I didn't like it at all, I wouldn't miss the opportunity to hear one of my favorite bands playing live music in my country. 

via GIPHY

I bought a couple of tickets as soon as I could. Besides Nirvana, Soundgarden was the band I heard the most when I was a teenager. I particularly didn't like that they sounded more like a heavy metal band than a garage punk band -as it is the case of Ultramega OK and Badmotorfinger-, but eventually, I loved them. 


The first Soundgarden's song I heard was Black Hole Sun and it blew up my mind, immediately. It must have been in the middle of the summer in 1994, shortly after USA's World Cup. Cobain just had died and it was impossible to avoid thinking of him, while hearing the song. The video was awesome and violent. Then, I watched Fell On Black Days' video and I just adored it. Later, Jesus Christ Pose and so on. 

via GIPHY


In a few years, I went from Superunknown to Badmotorfinger -it was the easiest way to find their music-, just about time to hear Down On The Upside when it came out. 

I was  17 years old when the band announced their break. Never thought I would hear them playing live music, but after almost 20 years since their last studio album they recorded King Animal and announced a World Tour. 




It was an awesome show. I was euphoric. Felt I was a teenager, too. 

Chris Cornell just died today. 


via GIPHY

Black Hole Sun


No comments: