Wednesday, November 28, 2018

Purple Haze Within My Brain


All I want to have is a clear mind. 

On the last year, I have been looking for a new challenge.
I have written several intention letters.
I have read a lot of research projects. 
I have prepared a bunch of CVs. 

Nothing worked out.

I was so close to get a tenure track position in a private university. 
All I would have had to do was to move to Monterrey and to focus on teaching at undergraduate level. Salary seemed to be enormous. 

At the last moment, the authorities decided to hire a cognitive behavioral therapist.
She apparently had no experience in teaching and had recently obtained her Bachelor's degree –I guess she doesn't belong to National Researcher's System–, but she had studied on that private university. 

A big bias. 

A colleague told me about a chance to work in Aguascalientes.
They looked for a researcher with expertise on drug addiction, or so he told me. 
I wrote a project of basic research with animal models to perform experiments in order to evaluate several potential drugs of abuse. 

At the last moment, they decided to hire a guy with an expertise on drug policies. 
They hired a guy who speaks about drugs, but from a social –rather than a neurobiological– perspective. 

I just made a resume of my last year, but I really looked for an opportunity so bad. 

I was so hopeless that I started to consider the possibility to get a job as a ghost writer.

On the last month, things changed.
My boss told me of an opportunity. 
I went to this University to give a talk about my career. 
The researchers who evaluated me, seemed to be looking for another profile. 
They say they have an excess of researchers like me. 
(Eventually I would find out that they thought I would ran away from the job due to the state of their working conditions.)

Nonetheless, one of them seemed to be interested on hiring me for a different purpose. 

I have been in contact with him.

He's interested on the relationship between gut microbiota and cognition in animal models of Alzheimer and schizophrenia.

Tomorrow I will go to this University, once again. 

I don't want to get ahead of the facts, but it seems to be a real opportunity for me.  

I will have an interview at 9: 00 am. 

The only thing I don't like a lot it's the distance. 
On times like these, I think seriously about learning to drive and about getting a car. 


No comments: